Kids April 2014

Kids April 2014

July 6, 2014

Week in Review ~ July 6, 2014


This Week in Review
This week, we looked forward to a visit from Nana and some of our cousins.  We had a play date with Clara, Baby Bradford and Henry on Wednesday.  It was fun to watch Bekah and Clara play together with the dolls. 
The 4th of July was busy.  We made a trip down to Bryan to visit with Grandma.  We had a great lunch and spent some quality time with family.  We came back home that afternoon to get ready for to see a fireworks show with one of Robert’s home teaching families.  About 15 minutes before we were planning to leave, it started raining, a lot, but the fireworks went on and the kids absolutely loved them, even Zachary handled them pretty well.
Saturday we made a fun discovery.  The tree in the front yard that we worked so hard to save a few weeks ago is now the home to a bird family.  I can’t say that it was our save the tree efforts that brought them there, but maybe it helped.  We put out some birdseed and hope that we’ll be able to watch them for awhile.
Our Cute Kids
So, I was pretty worried about how the kids would handle the fireworks, they acted excited, but I had memories of my little brothers screaming through fireworks shows when they were younger.  Not so with these kids.  Zachary was the most apprehensive, so I covered his ears, but he seemed to enjoy the colors.  Ben and Bekah were in awe.  Ben clapped and cheered.  His favorite color was the blue ones.  Bekah had the biggest smile on her face and kept asking to make sure that I was seeing them too.  I guess it means that we’ll have to make sure that we make it to more shows in the future.
Ben has enjoyed playing one of the Lego Batman games and so last night we watched the movie.  Ben was so excited, but did have to run out of the room when the Batmobile got destroyed saying that he couldn’t watch.
Thought
We have continued to learn about Abinadi this week and his teachings to King Noah.  For Family Home Evening we told a simple version of the story, so the kids would understand just a little bit about we were reading this week for scripture time.  I think their favorite part was the Gospel Art picture of Abinadi in King Noah’s court.  We heard a lot about the animals.
As I was getting everything thing prepared for Family Home Evening, I saw this message on the Church the website.  Maybe since I was already thinking about Abinadi and his willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice for his witness of Jesus Christ, this thought really stuck with me.
How often do we give up on something because it’s simply too hard, while fighting for things that don’t really matter?  The most important things that we have are the things that we can take with us into eternity.  First, I think of my family.  I would do anything and sacrifice anything to guarantee that we can have a shot at eternity.  That is why we try through the occasional kicking and screaming and other various types of protests to have a meaningful Family Home Evening Lesson and scripture time, making sure that we say prayers and going to Church even when we know we’ll be so busy trying to keep the kids quiet and occupied that we won’t even hear the speakers.  It’s why we willingly sacrifice the things we want to do in order to maximize the time we spend with our kids.  We do these things not because they are always fun, but because in the end, the example that we set for our children and the opportunity to help them build a strong testimony of the gospel are more valuable than so many other options for how to spend our time.
There is of course growing our own testimony, so it’s important to ask what we are doing for ourselves.  Do we make the time to truly communicate with our Father in Heaven, to seek His guidance and then listen for His answers?  Do we make temple attendance a priority?  Are we willing to serve?  I must admit in some of these areas, I’m not as good as in others, but the point is that we have to keep trying.  We are not asked to run faster than we are able, simply to run.  We should seek to continually improve and press forward in faith, knowing that we will have Heavenly aid if we seek it.
One of the lessons we work to learn in this life is where our priorities lie.  If we focus on eternity and are willing to sacrifice some of the rest, than we are working on the things that will mean the most.