Kids April 2014

Kids April 2014

August 17, 2014

Week in Review - August 17, 2014


This Week in Review
Thankfully this has been a relatively quiet week, which also means that there is little to report.  Our dinner with the missionaries went well.  Ben kept them entertained with his stories and explanations.  Monday night we had dinner with friends and Friday my visiting teachers and their kids came over for a visit.  We’ve been working on reorganizing a few things which has been a particularly slow process, but will hopefully make a big difference when it’s done.
Our Cute Kids
Yesterday after Ben woke up from his nap he came over to talk to me and very seriously asked if I thought he was getting bigger.  I informed him that I thought he was growing up too quickly.  He then informed me that he didn’t think he was growing up at all.  He said that he had been waiting all day and he still wasn’t as big as daddy.
Thoughts
As we’ve been working our way through Alma, we reached chapter 7, which is one of my favorite chapters.  Alma talks to the people of Gideon about the Savior.  Verses 11 and 12 are what make this chapter so important.
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

I am grateful to know that our Savior, the one who will stand as our advocate with the Father, know everything that we have been through.  He has felt our sorrows and understands our tears; he knows and understands our pains and weaknesses.
When I was in high school I got hurt playing basketball.  I went to doctors and specialists and none of them could fully determine the problem or offer a solution other than time that would fix the problem or reduce the pain that I felt.  I often remember thinking during these times that even though no one else seemed to know what I was going through, my Savior did.  Since then and hopefully through the rest of my life, I hope to always remember that when life gets tough and no one else seems to understand, there is one person who does that I can turn to whenever I need help, guidance or assistance.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gave a talk while I was in college that helps illustrate this point.
Consider, for example, the Savior’s benediction upon his disciples even as he moved toward the pain and agony of Gethsemane and Calvary. On that very night, the night of the greatest suffering the world has ever known or ever will know, he said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. . . . Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).
I submit to you that may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s merciful heart. I can tell you this as a parent: As concerned as I would be if somewhere in their lives one of my children were seriously troubled or unhappy or disobedient, nevertheless I would be infinitely more devastated if I felt that at such a time that child could not trust me to help, or should feel his or her interest were unimportant to me or unsafe in my care. In that same spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments.

Let me quote the marvelous James E. Talmage on this matter:
Into every adult human life come experiences like unto the battling of the storm-tossed voyagers with contrary winds and threatening seas; ofttimes the night of struggle and danger is far advanced before succor appears; and then, too frequently the saving aid is mistaken for a greater terror. [But,] as came unto [these disciples] in the midst of the turbulent waters, so comes to all who toil in faith, the voice of the Deliverer“It is I; be not afraid.” [Jesus the Christ, 3d ed. (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1916), p. 337]
Brother Talmage used there the word succor. Do you know its meaning? It is used often in the scriptures to describe Christ’s care for and attention to us. It means literally “to run to.” What a magnificent way to describe the Savior’s urgent effort in our behalf. Even as he calls us to come to him and follow him, he is unfailingly running to help us.